CPO- Civil Protection Order

Statistics show that once domestic violence starts, the violence happens more often and gets increasingly severe. A CPO may stop this cycle of violence because the court orders the abusive person to stop hurting or threatening you and/or your family or household members.

What is a Civil Protection Order (CPO)?

If you are a victim of domestic violence, you can petition for protection for you and/or your household or family members. When petitioning for a Civil Protection Order (CPO), the petitioner, the person filing the petition, must allege that the respondent, the abusive person, committed physical violence or threatened physical violence against a family or household member. A CPO is intended to prevent further domestic violence. It orders someone who has been abusive to do or not to do certain things in the future.

Violating a CPO is a crime. If the respondent violates the CPO, he or she may be arrested, jailed, and fined for not obeying the CPO. A final CPO can remain in effect from six months to five years.

Who can get a civil protection order?

You can petition for a CPO if you are related to the abuser by blood or marriage AND have lived with the abuser at any time, you are living with or have lived with the abuser as a spouse during the past five years, you used to be married to the abuser, or you have a child with the abuser. You can also petition for a CPO for any member of your household if the abuser’s violent acts have been directed toward them as well. You may file a petition for a CPO in the county you live in or the county where the abusive incident occurred.

What is a restraining order?

A Restraining Order (RO) is granted through a divorce case. It is issued by a Domestic Relations Court in order to restrain one party from selling or damaging household goods, withdrawing all the money from the bank accounts, running up debts, and from abusing or harassing each other.

What is a temporary restraining order?

There are several kinds of Protection Orders. The most frequently requested are: Civil Protection Orders, Temporary Protection Orders, Criminal or Civil Stalking Protection Orders.

How do I get a CPO?

Petitions for a CPO can be obtained through the Warren County Domestic Relations Court located at 500 Justice Drive, Lebanon, OH 45036. Upon filing a CPO petition, an Ex Parte hearing will be held. At this hearing, an Ex Parte CPO, or Emergency CPO, may be issued if the judge or magistrate finds that there has been an act or threat of Domestic Violence as defined in Ohio’s Statute. If an Ex Parte CPO is issued, a response hearing for the CPO will be held within 7-10 court days. After the response hearing, the magistrate or judge will determine whether or not a final CPO should be issued and if so, how long it should last. The Ex Parte CPO is fully enforceable until a final CPO is issued.

Does it Cost Anything to Get a CPO?

No. Under Federal and State law, you cannot be charged any costs or fees for obtaining a CPO.

Do I Need an Attorney to Get a CPO?

No, but you are often better off having legal representation at your CPO proceedings. If you cannot afford an attorney, contact the Legal Aid Society at (513) 241-9400 or 1-800-582-2682.

We Are Here to Help.

You are not alone. 
All of our services are FREE and CONFIDENTIAL. For situations requiring an advocate’s immediate assistance, please call our 24/7 crisis hotline.

If you are in an emergency situation, please call 9-1-1.

24/7 Crisis Hotline 888-860-4084

Click to Connect